London Web Designers. Accessible, ethically priced London website designers. This site will look much better in a browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device. Skip navigation and go to content.

Thomas Bloor

Thursday, January 17, 2008

 
Hello. This is the book log. It goes like this...

THE WRONG WORDS

I haven’t written any entry here for almost two months. Why not? Pure idleness? No. Not entirely, anyway. I have in fact been putting a lot of time into the writing (and rewriting) of what is for me an unusually long story. I finished this lengthy tome at the end of November, having started work on it over a year earlier (the idea itself being one I’ve had kicking around for years, and have already started – and then abandoned – several times before in various other forms - for instance, as a radio play, for some mad reason!)

So. I tried writing it as a novel and eventually finished it. 80,000 words long, which is, for me, really pretty long, the longest thing I’ve written by some way. (Well yes, I know that plenty of authors write much longer books – I can only admire their stamina!). But then, to my great horror, at the very moment I typed the final sentence I suddenly realised without a shadow of a doubt that at least 40,000 of those 80,000 words were in fact THE WRONG WORDS! By which I mean there was something terribly amiss with the plot and some important aspects of the characterisation which could only be tackled by making major cuts and rewriting huge sections of the book from scratch. What a nightmare! Why couldn’t I have made that discovery earlier? I don’t really know, except that plans and synopses and plot points are all very well, but they go only get you so far. You can never really anticipate how a story is actually going to fit together (or not, as the case may be) until you get down to it and write the thing. At least, I can’t anyway.

Now, this book is a book I’ve been writing on spec. In other words, no publisher has said they want it yet. So it might well turn out to have been a great deal of hard work for nothing (apart from the perverse satisfaction of having finished the thing at last). As a published author there’s no guarantee that anything you write will get into print, particularly if your sales figures tend to be a bit on the modest side. So I faced the prospect of spending another couple of months rewriting a book that might never see the light of day, nor ever earn me a single penny. A sensible man may have decided to cut his losses here, and consign the failed manuscript to the bottom drawer so as to get on with something else. But I found I couldn’t leave the story alone! I didn’t want to write anything else at all until I’d finally got to a place where I could call the story finished, at least as a first draft. So that’s why I’ve not written anything in the book log for so long.

At last, I’ve finally finished the first draft and I can put the manuscript to one side for a while. This time round, just as I rewrote the last words the skies outside darkened and there was a rumble of thunder. Then a storm of hailstones the size of marbles pelted the earth, rattling at the windows and clattering onto the garden path. Whether that burst of freakish precipitation was an omen, and, if it was, whether it augured well or ill, remains to be seen…

Archives

December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   November 2005   March 2006   May 2006   June 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   July 2009   December 2009   February 2010   June 2010   September 2010   November 2010   January 2011   February 2011   August 2011   September 2011   January 2012   February 2012   August 2012   December 2012   April 2013  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?